Passport Service Fees:*

3-4 days $180
8-10 days $120
*Government fees extra

Consular Assistance, Inc.

6351 Burgundy Leaf Lane
Alexandria, VA 22312

(202) 498 0863



Passport for a minor

All children regardless of age, including newborns and infants, must have their own passport.

Step I. Gather required documents
  1. Fill out new passport application form online for minor. Click "Continue" on "Apply for a Passport Book" column. Complete the form online, click "Submit" and than "CREATE FORM" button and print it out.
    Do not sign the application form. The original form must be signed in front of the Acceptance Agent. To find the nearest Acceptance Agent, use U.S. Department of State Acceptance Agent Locator.

  2. Letter of Authorization.
    Download, print out, sign and date the Letter of Authorization. Important: Please enclose an additional copy of the Letter of Authorization outside of the envelope sealed by the Acceptance Agent. Once you sign it, we have to submit it to the passport agency within 5 business days. Signature must be in blue ink only in order to avoid procesing delays.

  3. Two (2) passport photos. Photos must be identical, taken within the past 6 months, 2x2 inches, and not from a vending machine.

  4. Parent(s)/Guardian(s) evidence of their relationship to the minor applicant (one of the following):

    • Minor's certified U.S. birth certificate with both parents’ names
    • Minor's certified Foreign Birth Certificate with both parents’ names
    • Minor's Report of Birth Abroad with both parents’ names
    • Adoption Decree with adopting parents’ names
    • Court Order establishing custody
    • Court Order establishing guardianship

  5. Proof of U.S. citizenship:
    • A certified birth certificate, issued by state or county health department or vital statistics bureau (not hospital certificates);
    • A naturalization certificate;
    • A certificate of citizenship;
    • A Consular report of birth abroad;
    • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport.

  6. Parent(s)/Guardian(s) Proof of Identity. Both parent(s)/guardian(s) must present acceptable identification at the time of application (one of the following):
    • Previously issued, undamaged U.S. passport
    • Valid Driver's License
    • Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
    • Current Military ID (military and dependents)
    • Naturalization Certificate
    • Note: If you changed your legal name you will need to provide a certified copy of either a marriage certificate or a name change court decree.

  7. Parental Consent. Both parents must provide consent authorizing passport issuance for a minor under age 16. See the scenarios below, and follow the instruction that best applies to your circumstance:

    Both Parents MUST:
    • Appear in person with the minor
    • Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent
    One Parent MUST:
    • Appear in person with the minor
    • Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent
    • Submit the second parents’ notarized Statement of Consent (Form DS-3053)

    One Parent
    (with sole legal custody)

    • Appear in person with the minor
    • Sign Form DS-11 in front of an Acceptance Agent
    • Submit primary evidence of sole authority to apply for the child with one of the following:
      • Minor’s certified U.S. or foreign birth certificate listing only the applying parent
      • Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) or Certification of Birth Abroad (Form DS-1350) listing only the applying parent
      • Court order granting sole custody to the applying parent (unless child's travel is restricted by that order)
      • Adoption decree (if applying parents is sole adopting parent)
      • Court order specifically permitting applying parent's or guardian's travel with the child
      • Judicial declaration of incompetence of non-applying parent
      • Death certificate of non-applying parent

    NOTE: If none of the above documentation is available, the applying parent must submit Form DS-3053 stating why the non-applying parent/guardian's consent cannot be obtained

  8. Travel itinerary: For same day/next day processing: a copy of itinerary showing travel within 3 business days. For 5-7 day processing: itinerary showing travel within 5-10 business days.

  9. Government fees: money order payable to the "U.S. Department of State"
    - $140 (minors - under 16)
Step II. Take the documents to the Acceptance Agent
  • The minor:

    • Must apply in person with both parents/guardian(s)
    • Must not sign the application until instructed to do so by the Acceptance Agent
    • Must provide his/her Social Security number


  • Inform the Agent that you are using an agency to expedite the passport processing and that the sealed documents will be hand-delivered to the Department of State. This Department of State policy is called "Hand Carrying of Executed Applications". The policy is detailed on pages 31 and 44 of the Acceptance Agent Manual.

  • The Acceptance Agent has to:
    - Witness the signing of application for new passport;
    - Collect a $25 execution fee;
    - Verify the documents and seal them into an envelope.

  • The Acceptance Agent should write the applicant's name and date of birth on the outside of the sealed envelope and address it to "Passport Agency". If two or more applications are sealed in the same envelope please make sure that the information about all applicants is written on the envelope.
Step III. Mail the documents to Consular Assistance, Inc.

The acceptance agent will return sealed envelope to you. Do not open the envelope. Mail the sealed envelope along with the service fees to Consular Assistance, Inc. for the processing of your new passport. Do not include the service fees into the sealed envelope!

Service Fees:

3-4 days $180
8-10 days $120


  ©2015 Consular Assistance, Inc.
All rights reserved